Discover Beaujolais: Mediterranean Braised Chicken with Dates and Cherries
A perfect dish for the coming fall, this Mediterranean braised chicken is made with dates and cherries and served with a perfectly fruity Beaujolais red wine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dried dates chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chicken broth plus extra if needed
- Cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Walnuts for garnish
- Cooked couscous for serving
- Beaujolais Villages Louis Jadot, 2015?
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot. Add the onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and sear for 1 minute per side. Add the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, dates, cherries, thyme, cinnamon and chicken broth.
Cook uncovered for 10 minutes to allow the liquid to thicken and reduce by half. (If liquid reduces too much or pan becomes dry, add more chicken broth). Flip the chicken thighs occasionally to ensure even cooking. Cover, cooking chicken another 10-15 minutes or until thighs are cooked through.
Serve chicken over couscous and garnish with cilantro and walnuts. Pair with Beaujolais. Enjoy!