The filling for these cookies is made from fresh strawberries which makes it even more mind blowing than it already is.
By Liz Swartz
I have always loved window cookies, but instead of traditional short bread, I used my favorite sugar cookie recipe and simply added minced, fresh basil.
- 12 tbsp butter, room temperature (1½ sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups flour
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and any flavorings and mix on medium speed to incorporate.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the edges start to turn golden.
- Use a hand or stand mixer to somewhat blend chopped strawberries together.
- Put in a small pot over medium heat and add sugar and cornstarch. Let it come to a boil, then remove it from heat and stir vigorously with a whisk for two minutes.
- Cool the filling in the refrigerator (or freezer) until it thickens. Mix it with a whisk to smooth it out before putting it between the cooled cookies.
Lizzy Wolff, creator of Sugar + Butter, loves to make you drool on your keyboard. It's a real thrill for her. For more recipes, click 'website' below.