Traditional orange cake from Sicily is sweetened with honey to create a rustic and fragrant dessert.
A rustic and fragrant cake with a delicate flavor, naturally sweetened with orange Sicilian honey, an excellent sugar substitute. Using unrefined ingredients and sweeten with raw sugar, honey or malt is not just a healthy habit but a pleasure because it means eaters can (re) discover all the tastes and the true flavors. This simple, luscious cake, remains soft for a few days.
- 3 large organic eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- 5 tablespoons honey orange (or lemon honey or acacia honey)
- zest and juice of an untreated orange
- 75 ml (3 fl oz) mild extra virgin olive oil
- 300 g (11 oz) brown rice flour (or Kamut flour or other unrefined flours)
- 15 g (½oz / ¼cup) organic baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Whip whole eggs with a pinch of salt. Add honey, oil, zest and orange juice.
- Add flour and baking powder, stirring just enough to blend the ingredients.
- Pour the dough into a greased and floured cake pan (or replaced with baking paper).
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until done.