Traditional orange cake from Sicily is sweetened with honey to create a rustic and fragrant dessert.
A rustic and fragrant cake with a delicate flavor, naturally sweetened with orange Sicilian honey, an excellent sugar substitute. Using unrefined ingredients and sweeten with raw sugar, honey or malt is not just a healthy habit but a pleasure because it means eaters can (re) discover all the tastes and the true flavors. This simple, luscious cake, remains soft for a few days.
- 3 large organic eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- 5 tablespoons honey orange or lemon honey or acacia honey
- zest and juice of an untreated orange
- 75 ml 3 fl oz mild extra virgin olive oil
- 300 g 11 oz brown rice flour (or Kamut flour or other unrefined flours)
- 15 g ½oz / ¼cup organic baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Whip whole eggs with a pinch of salt. Add honey, oil, zest and orange juice.
- Add flour and baking powder, stirring just enough to blend the ingredients.
- Pour the dough into a greased and floured cake pan (or replaced with baking paper).
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until done.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.