Featuring James Beard Award winners and finalists, the exclusive Montana Master Chefs is a world-class culinary event held annually in the Big Sky Country.
All images are courtesy of Paws Up Resort
At the event chefs who have been honored by the “Oscars of the food world” (James Beard Foundation Awards) will show off their artistic skills; blanching, braising, butterfly-ing, macerating quadrill-ing and all of those other fancy cooking terms to create multi-course dishes to impress and wow guests palates.
Who are these chefs? They originate from different states in the U.S, cooking varied cuisines from fried chicken to Mexican hot chocolate, yet they share a common ground. They are all well-familiarized with their way around the kitchen, they have all been recognized by the renowned James Beard Foundation and they will all be at the Paws Up Resort for the Montana Master Chefs event.
Meet the five chefs who are responsible for all the great eats at the Montana Master Chefs Event this weekend:
- Executive Chef Ben Jones of the Paws Up Resort– The individual responsible for Montana lamb lollipops and a vanilla panna cotta with huckle berry compote I had the pleasure to try at the James Beard House. You can read more about thee humble talented Chef Jones here.
- Executive Chef Steven Satterfield and co- owner of Miller Union in Atlanta and author of cookbook Root & Leaf: Preparing southern fare using simple, sustainable ingredients; At the Miller Union, also nominated in 2010 by James Beard for best restaurant, Chef Satterfield is serving simple delectable dishes like griddled chicken with seasonal vegetables and herbs cooked in savory broth.
- Executive Chef Ashley Christenen; based in North Carolina Chef Christenen led a professional cooking career since the age of 21. She opened several restaurants such as Poole’s Diner (home to re-imagined comfort classic food), Beasley’s Chicken + Honey (an ode to fried chicken and classic comfort sides), Joule Coffee + Table and her latest venture Death +Taxes; a wood-fire cooking restaurant.
- Executive Chef Jamie Malore– holding a degree from the prestigious school Le Cordon Blue, Chef Malore’s culinary home roots is in Minnesota but her knowledge expands around the world. She is the winner of 2103 Rising Chef James Beard Foundation Award and 2014 Best Chef: Midwest. Currently Malore is working on opening Brut, a destination for “bubblies” and classical French cuisine.
- Executive Chef Mindy Segal: from the windy city “Chi-Town”, Segal is regarded as a “rock star pastry chef. Creating one of a kind, addicting pastries such as her One Banana, two Banana and Cake n’ Shake. She is the executive chef and owner of Mindy’s Hot Chocolate, a restaurant with options like Mac and Cheese, brisket melt sandwiches, a cookie plate and one of a kind hot chocolate drinks; e.g chai hot chocolate. (something I would brave the Chicago winter for) Segal has been recognized by Eat Out, Time Out Chicago and nominated by James Beard for Outstanding Pastry Chef.
In the wide open spaces of Montana, make it your priority to venture to the Paws Up Resort on September 29th to October 2nd for this food and wine event, filled with culinary treasures.