PARTNER POST: The versatile potato is perfect in a multitude of recipes showcasing flavors from around the globe. Get creative with your spuds.
Usually potato pancakes are bound together with an egg mixture, but this vegan version uses tofu for a hearty and delicious bite.
Check out these delectable potato pancakes! Golden-crisp outside, potato-goodness soft inside, seasoned just right and ready for you and the fam to load up with your favorite toppings. Easy to make and everyone approved – even picky eaters. I have firsthand proof!
Bonus round – they’re healthy and vegan! Best part – no one will know. Or care. They’ll be too deep in potato pancake bliss to ask questions.
And hey, they have a fun German name! Kartoffelkuchen. That’s “potato cake.” Just look at those gorgeous kartoffels!
Make these vegan potato pancakes because:
- Potatoes are awesome
- You’ll win the hearts of anyone you’re generous enough to share with
- They’re a great source of protein, fiber and potassium (especially with the skins on!)
- You can top them any way you want
- The recipe makes plenty, and they store well
- They’re perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner
- Vegans and non-vegans love ’em
I topped this round with vegan sour cream, but I’ve also enjoyed them with ketchup, mustard, Sriracha, even hot pepper jelly. And they’re famously good with applesauce, but I haven’t tried that yet.
I LOVE potatoes! They’re a great source of fiber, potassium, vitamins, nutrients AND deliciousness. And talk about versatile! So many cuisines, so many styles of cooking…whatever you’re into, potatoes work with it.
For another delicious potato dish, click here for the Potato Farl recipe.
- 8 medium Russet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
- 1 large onion, any color
- 1 red Bell pepper
- about ⅔ of a 14 oz. package of firm tofu
- about ⅓ c fresh parsley leaves (some stems are fine too)
- 3 Tbs whole wheat flour (or use a gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp salt-free herb seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- about ¼ tsp fresh black pepper Coupons
- Olive, vegetable, corn or canola oil for brushing pan
- Grate the potatoes, onion and pepper by hand or in a food processor.
- Chop the parsley by hand or in a food processor.
- Put the tofu in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- Brush a 6 skillet with oil and place over medium heat.
- Spoon about ¾ c of the potato mixture into the skillet and use a spatula to flatten to about ½ thick.
- Cook about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining potato mixture.