A quick bread recipe that is perfect for brunch or with a salad, these savory cakes are loaded with flavorful sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese.
This is a very quick and easy idea for a brunch, accompanied with a salad or for snack on the beach. The juiciness of the sun-dried tomatoes and the unmistakable flavor of the Greek cheese makes these small cakes delicious for every occasion.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Feta CakesVeronica Lavenia
- 1 egg
- Pinch of sea salt
- 75 ml 3 fl oz milk
- 50 ml 2 fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g 3½ oz Feta cheese
- Pitted black olives
- 250 g 9 oz wholewheat flour, sifted
- 15 g ½ oz organic baking powder (for savory cakes)
- chopped sundried tomatoes to taste (calculate 1 or 2 for each cake)
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350°F/gas 4).
- Lightly beat the eggs with the salt, milk and oil. Add the crumbled feta, chopped olives and stir in the flour sifted with baking powder.
- Mix and pour the mixture into a muffin tray or individual cups.
- On top of each cake place one or two chopped sundried tomatoes (washed, dried and cut in half).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.