This cake is a real treat for the eyes. Who would have thought that sour cherries could be so sweet?
By Nina Jesih
This cake is a real treat for the eyes. The colors and taste will not leave any eater indifferent. Moreover, who would have thought that sour cherries could be so sweet?Print
Sour cherry cake
- Author: nina jesih
- Yield: 10 1x
- Category: Dessert
- 1 baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- 2 table spoons cacao powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup oil (you can use sunflower oil or coconut oil)
For the layers
- 1 recipe of your favorite vanilla pudding
- 2 jars pickled sour cherries (1 jar for 1 cake layer or 350 g sour cherries without water)
- 2 cups whipping cream (2x250 g)
- dark chocolate (for topping)
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites.
- Put egg yolks, oil and water in the pot and whisk, until it rises up a bit. Add sugar and additionally whisk 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly start adding the flour (in which you put baking powder) and mix at least for 13 minutes, so it will be lighter. At the end, also add the cacao powder. You will know that you whipped the “dough” enough, when you see the bubbles on top of it.
- In the other pot, whip the egg whites until they are stiff. Try turning the dish around, if the eggs do not fall out, they are ready. Here is a little trick: put the egg whites in the fridge beforehand, the cold will help you whip them quicker.
- Add egg yolks to the “dough” and gently mix it by hand.
- Spread the cake mold with beaten egg yolks and put on a wax paper. Pour the “dough” inside and put in the oven (35 minutes at 360°). Remember NOT to open the oven before 20 minutes are up! After that time, you can check the cake. If the top is burning, you can cover it with aluminum foil. Test with the toothpick to see, if the dough is done (the toothpick has to stay clean).
- Take it out of the oven, cool it and cut it into three equal layers.
- Strain both jars of sour cherries and save the juice. Cook the pudding like it says on the bag, but instead of milk use 1/2 L of juice. Constantly stir the pudding, so the lumps will not show and do it until it becomes gelatinous. When it is cooked, you need to cool pudding down. The easiest way to do this is if you pour some cold water in the sink and put the pot in. When it is cooling down, do not forget to stir as well, so the crust won’t create on the top.
- Add a little bit of water to the remaining sour cherry juice. You will use this to soak the cake layers.
- Choose a suitable cake plate or base, because when the biscuit is on, you will not be able to remove it. Place one cake layer on the plate and soak it with the juice (use the spoon). Get the sour cherries from one jar and arrange them on the layer. Pour half of the cold pudding over it (use the spoon again) and smear it with some of the whipped cream.
- Then you repeat the whole procedure. Put on the second layer and gently press it down (just a little bit, because we do not want the sour cherries to fall out). Then you repeat the whole procedure. Soak the cake with juice, add sour cherries, pudding and whipped cream.
- Put the third layer on top of everything and gently press again. Soak this layer, too.
- Use paper towels to wipe the excessive juice. They will also absorb all extra juice that is pouring out, if you set them all around the plate. Put the cake in the fridge and leave it there for the night (continue to change towels while in the fridge if necessary).
- The next day coat the cake with the rest of the whipped cream (top layer and all the corners). Grate some dark chocolate on top.
- Serving Size: whole
- Calories: 3815
- Sugar: 169
- Sodium: 1370
- Fat: 287
- Carbohydrates: 400
- Protein: 86
I guarantee you, this cake will be on your menu at least twice a year, it is so amazing.
Nina is an art historian from Slovenia, who really likes to eat. Especially junk food, so she balances it with all the natural remedies to keep her body fit, despite her profligate eating lifestyle. Also to keep up with her hunger for exciting food, she stays active in sports.
Please, how much baking powder? And check to be sure nothing else is missing or wrong? Thanks!
I am sure nothing is missing, I bake it all the time :) You can add ingredients, if you see the cake is too watery, you can do it by the feeling. About the baking powder: I always buy it in little bags that contain 15’5 grams of baking powder. I hope you will enjoy making it and bon appetit!
#5 Do you mean egg whites? What size cake pan. You say mold but cake looks just round. Can’t wait to try , but want to get it right.