Tex-Mex is literally a blend of American and Mexican flavors. What’s more Tex-Mex than a spiced Mexican hot chocolate with a dash of Louisiana Tabasco sauce? Sip on this flavorful mug on the next snowy day. Spike it with tequila or mezcal for the adults!
To help you find a new, delicious way to warm up this season, Aaron Polsky of Harvard and Stone in Los Angeles has partnered with TABASCO Sauce to create a spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe. This recipe combines creamy coconut milk with melted Mexican chocolate and a shot of reposado tequila or mezcal for a perfect winter warm-up. The drink is enlivened with a flavorful splash of TABASCO Sauce and topped with coconut flakes or marshmallows to make it extra cozy.
- 1 20oz can coconut milk
- 2 disks Mexican hot chocolate (I prefer Ibarra Mexican Hot Chocolate)
- 1 teaspoon mole bitters (I prefer Bittermens Mole Bitters)
- ¼ teaspoon TABASCO® Sauce
- 6oz reposado tequila or mezcal
- Coconut flakes or marshmallows
- In a saucepan, add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Add chocolate disks, mole bitters, and TABASCO® Sauce and whisk until the chocolate disks have melted. Remove from heat.
- To serve, add ¾ cup hot chocolate base to a heated mug, and add 1.5 oz Reposado Tequila or Mezcal and stir. Garnish with a sprinkling of coconut flakes and marshmallows. Leave a bottle of TABASCO® Sauce out for your guests to add more if they want it spicier.