If you’re carving pumpkins this Halloween use the “guts” to make your own pumpkin puree. If not, canned puree works just as well in this soup.
By Roberta Pipito
- 3 Cups of Pumpkin Puree, canned is fine
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup of Red Lentils
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- 32 FL oz. of Chicken Stock
- Chopped Parsley, for garnish
- Hazelnuts, optional for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan turn on medium heat. Drizzle in olive oil, and add onions.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes then add garlic.
- Afterwards mix in lentils and stir.
- Then add puree and stir again.
- Lastly, mix in stock and let cook for about 30 minutes or so on medium to low heat.
- You can blend and make this a smooth soup or leave the texture. I did half and half.
Roberta Pipito is a chef, food blogger and wine and beer aficionado. Her work continues to expand in the foodie world, and can be seen on www.homemadedelish.com.