Garlicky, pea hummus with avocado and sprouts is creamy, salty and perfect for a quick lunch. This is a great recipe to enjoy in the spring when peas are fresh, but don’t be afraid to try frozen peas in the winter months.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
Nothing screams spring more so than peas. These sweet tiny balls of of deliciousness are the one food item that makes winter bearable. I puree frozen peas and cauliflower into the greenest of soups, sauté them with olive oil and garlic for a quick side dish, and sometimes I mash them together with tahini for the most delicious of all hummus recipes out there.
Today I am sharing a recipe that is perfect for lunch. Spring Toast is the perfect combination of hearty toast, garlicky pea hummus, avocado, and sprouts. Everything is sprinkled with chunky sea salt flakes and drizzled with the grassiest of olive oils. Every bite is just divine: sweet, salty, and creamy. And while it still doesn’t feel like spring, every bite of this will bring you a bit closer!
- 2 cups cooked sweet peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice half a lemon
- Pinch of salt to taste
- Handful of cilantro and or mint (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp. Pea Hummus
- 1 toast (Free Bread or Udi’s if GF)
- ½ avocado, sliced thin
- Sprouts of choice
- Sea Salt
- Olive oil
- Place all ingredients in food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Set aside. Store covered in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Toast bread. Smear pea hummus, then place sliced avocado on top. Sprinkle with sprouts and sea salt. Drizzle with olive oil and eat immediately.