This year, watermelons arrived just in time for cocktail-hour. Jerri Green tends the bar.
By Jerri Green
It is that time of year again when watermelons are in season. They are a staple of summer and backyard cookouts. I remember when I was a kid my dad would have me, my sisters, and whatever cousins happened to be over at any given time compete in a watermelon eating contest at weekend cookouts. It wasn’t about how much you could eat, but about how fast you could finish your slice with you hands behind your back. We all ended up sticky, smiling, and licking our lips. So, to harken back to those innocent summer days, I thought I would share with you a mouthwatering watermelon cocktail that is decidedly more adult, but will leave you smiling and licking your lips (and maybe a little sticky as well).
I received this recipe from an email from Hungry Girl. I would suggest at least doubling the recipe as this only makes one (big) drink. And if you are like me, your manly hubby will be begging for one of your pink and fruity girlie drinks once he has one (big) sip. Or, if you are making it for a party, I would suggest making a huge batch as they will go fast! Also, it is easier to make if you buy a seedless watermelon from the start. We found an small one at our local farmers market, along with the limes, all for under three bucks! Plus, the mint came from my herb garden.
- ¾ cup of watermelon chunks, seeds removed
- 1 shot of rum (as big as you like)
- 1 lime
- 3-4 mint sprigs
- 2 splendas
- 5-7 ice cubes
- Start by slicing your lime in half.
- Cut one half into wedges and place them in a cocktail shaker.
- Squeeze the juice from the other half.
- Add in the mint and the splendas (or sugar if you prefer and don't care about counting calories).
- Bruise with a muddler or an ice tea spoon.
- Shake and set aside.
- In a blender combine the watermelon chunks, ice, and rum.
- Once your are finished, put the lime mixture into a large glass and top with the watermelon blend.
- Stir and enjoy!