A meeting between India and the US, Sonia Mangla creates a new take on the classic Indian summer snack Katri Matri.
By Sonia Mangla
“Katri-Matri” as we know it is a all time favorite summer snack food in India, the closest version I have seen in the US is Animal Crackers. I thought It’ll be good fun to mix these two things up & create something thats unique yet tasty. Believe me these cute little snacks make your perfect date with family. I have adapted my mom’s recipe for preparing the dough base. Believe me these crackers were a huge hit at my place and by end of day we were left with no crackers to save. So go ahead and give your family a treat of Indian style animal crackers or “Katri-Matri“. Unleash your creativity on the dough and cut it out in any desired shape and present it the way YOU like.
- All purpose flour: 1 cup
- Semolina: ¼ cup
- Butter: ½ stick or Canola Oil: ¼ cup
- Carrom seeds: 1 tsp
- Fenugreek flakes or Parsley flakes: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Black Peppers: few
- Cocoa powder: 1 tsp, optional
- Warm Water for kneading the dough
- Sieve all purpose flour and semolina in a bowl.
- Add salt, carrom seeds, fenugreek flakes and butter to make a soft dough while adding little warm water.
- Cover the dough with a cheesecloth and rest for two hours.
- Knead the dough again and roll it as flat as possible with a rolling pin.
- Cut it into desired shapes with animal cutters.
- Add black peppers for making the eyes.
- Shallow fry the crackers till light golden brown.
- Take out and allow to cool.
- Let the crackers cool down and store in an air tight container.
Hope you you give this recipe a try & enjoy these crackers.
Let me know how you like these ..!!!
Sonia Mangla is a passionate Food Blogger & Photographer. She creates Fusion of Indian flavors and loves cooking for her guests. Her work is featured on some popular sites like FoodGawker,Tastespotting, Tasteologie & Foodbuzz.