Piedmont is known for their guaranteed hazelnuts. Sit back, relax, and enjoy this fragrant cake with a glass of Moscato D’Asti.
Hazelnut cake, hazelnut spread, hazelnut gelato, I love everything made with this precious gift of nature. This is one of my favorite cakes, a traditional dessert from Piedmont, a north-western region of Italy, a land full of amazing foods such as the Piedmont Hazelnut IGP. The Piedmont Hazelnut as known as Tonda Gentile Tribolata has a spheroidal seed, a mild taste and is easy to peel after toasting. Its production is concentrated in the province of Asti, Alessandria and Cuneo. The denomination I.G.P. guarantees to the consumers the authenticity of this product. Enjoy a slice of this cake with a glass of Moscato D’Asti.
- 2 cups Piedmont Hazelnuts toasted
- 1 stick 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3.53 oz. all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 sachet vanilla baking powder 1/2 oz or 16g
- 3 eggs separated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- powdered sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat oven at 375 F degrees.
- Grease a 9 inch cake pan with baking spray or butter and flour. Set Aside.
- Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Mix the hazelnuts with sugar, flour and vanilla baking powder.
- Add the egg yolks and butter and blend thoroughly.
- Whip the egg whites with the salt at stiff peak.
- Gently fold in the whipped egg whites into the hazelnut mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in its pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
ALE GAMBINI IS A LA-BASED FOOD WRITER, COOKBOOK AUTHOR AND AWARD NOMINEE HOST CHEF IN WEB SERIES. 100% ITALIAN (BORN AND RAISED IN MILAN) SHE LEARNED HOW TO COOK AND LOVE FOOD FROM HER GRANDMOTHER NONNA FERNANDA. ITALIAN FOOD AMBASSADOR AND OFFICIAL CONTRIBUTOR FOR EXPO 2015 MILANO, HONEST COOKING, ALIMENTARI MAGAZINE, SHE ALSO DEVELOPS RECIPES FOR PRESTIGIOUS ITALIAN AND INTERNATIONAL BRANDS. ALE LEADS COOKING CLASSES IN LOS ANGELES. FOLLOW HER ON A QUEEN IN THE KITCHEN, AUTHENTIC ITALIAN FOOD AT ITS BEST.