If you’ve never had fattoush you are missing out on something. Something delicious, fresh and quite addictive.
By Chris Scheuer
Fattoush Vegetable Salad
If you've never had fattoush you are missing out on something. Something delicious, fresh and quite addictive.
Author: Chris Scheuer
Recipe Type: Side
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 large English (seedless) cucumbers, halved and cut crosswise into thin slices
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes (I used a combination of cherry, I used the tomatoes-on-the-vine along with some grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced in bite size pieces
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch green onions, root end removed and sliced on the diagonal in ½ inch slices
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- about 2 tablespons za'atar
- flat bread crackers or pitas
Ingredients for the dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon (organic
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Instructions for the salad:
- Wash, prepare, and chop all veggies into bite-sized pieces.
- Wash, spin-dry herbs and chop. Place in a large bowl and add chopped veggies.
- Pour enough dressing over the salad to moisten all ingredients. Toss with a tongs or two forks and sprinkle generously with za'atar. Crumble the flat bread or pitas over the top and stir into salad. Pass extra dressing at the table.
Instructions for the dressing:
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a glass jar and shake very well.