Oats doesn’t have to be turned into boring porridge. Try these carrot and paneer oats uttappams instead.
By Suchitra Vaidyaram
It’s no secret – everyone knows the goodness of oats. But not many people know that it is versatile and can blend with almost any type of recipe.
If you are someone who looks at oats only as a porridge then it’s time you wake up and smell the roses. Out of many recipes in the a booklet about oats I recently received, these pancakes/uttappam caught my eye. A very simple recipe to make, but it tastes sumptuous.
- For the Batter-
- Oats - 1 cup
- Wheat flour-1/2 cup
- Water to blend
- Salt- ½ tsp
- Asafoetida powder (optional)- ¼ tsp or dash of it
- For the topping-
- Grated Paneer ½ cup
- Chopped green chillies -1 tsp
- Curry leaves chopped- a few
- Carrot- 1 (grated)
- Oil for greasing the pan
- Grind the oats in a mixer to a coarse powder.
- Mix all ingredients mentioned under batter together.
- Add enough water to the batter to get a thick pouring consistency. Beat well and keep it aside for ½ hour.
- Mix all ingredients mentioned under topping together. Set it aside.
- Heat a non stick pan/tawa. Grease the pan with oil.
- With the help of a ladle pour the batter on the pan and spread it a little into a round shape.
- Sprinkle the topping and cook the uttappam/pancake on medium/low flame till the edges turn golden.
- Flip the uttappam to other side and cook the other side.
- Remove from pan and serve it hot with chutney/sauce of your choice