These Caribbean grilled chicken and plantain bowls are filled with flavor thanks to spices, cauliflower rice and avocado. Plus, they’re paleo and easy to achieve on a weeknight.
For the bowls:
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 Cups Cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 3 tsp Melted coconut oil (divided)
- 1/2 Large Ripe green plantain (very thinly sliced. *READ NOTES)
- 3 tsp Coconut sugar
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1 Large avocado (mashed)
- 1 Tbsp Honey
For the chicken:
- 3 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Sea Salt and pepper
- 8 oz Chicken breast
- only 2-3 mins. Watch CLOSELY as coconut burns quickly.
- Additionally, place a grill pan on your grill and preheat to medium heat. (I do this while I prep all the ingredients.)
- Place the cauliflower in a medium bowl and toss with 2 tsp of the coconut oil, reserving the rest for later. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss into the heated grill basket. Cook until tender, with some charred spots, about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Lay the VERY thinly sliced plantains in a single layer on a plate and brush them with half of the remaining coconut oil (about 1/2 tsp.) Then, sprinkle on half of the coconut sugar (about 1 1/2 tsp.) Flip and repeat. They may be a little hard to flip, so be gentle! Set aside.
- Remove the cauliflower from the grill and cover to keep warm. Then, in a small bowl, combine the cumin, coconut sugar, cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt and pepper. Dry the chicken off and really rub all of the spice blend on both sides of the chicken.
- Grill until no longer pink inside, about 4-5 minutes per side, flipping once. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken rests, place the plantains on the grill. Immediately flip the plantains in the order that you put them on. Then, remove them. You want them a little bit crispy and charred, and they cook almost instantly! Place on a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Place the cauliflower into a small food processor, along with cilantro and pulse until broken down and “rice-like.” Stir in the toasted coconut flakes.
- Divide the cauliflower between two bowls, followed by the plantains, mashed avocado and the grilled chicken.
- Drizzle the bowls with honey (1/2 Tbsp per bowl) and DEVOUR.
*You will buy a “green plantain” but the actual color should be yellow with some large brown spots. You don’t want it ALL brown or it will be way too soft to cut and grill.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Caribbean-inspired