Try this sweet Malaysian dish made of green mung beans cooked with decadent, creamy coconut milk and palm sugar.
By Jehanne Ali
- 1 cup mung beans ( soak for at least 2 hours in water)
- ¾ cup palm sugar cubes ( around 180g)
- a pinch of salt
- 200ml fresh coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup pearl sago , soak for 30 mins
- 1 inch grated ginger
- 1 pandan leaf , optional
- In a heavy bottomed pan, boil the mung beans with ginger, pandan leaf and water, simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add in the salt and sago, stir well until sago becomes translucent, usually around 10 minutes.
- Tip in the palm sugar and once the sugar is fully melted, add the coconut milk. Simmer for another 5 minutes then serve.
Jehanne is an enthusiastic baker, food blogger, mother and wife all in one. She swaps her scalpel from her day job as a doctor to kitchen utensils in the evening and creates magical treatment of healthy treats for her family, which she shares in her blog, The Cooking Doctor. She is a firm advocate of healthy eating and always believes that honest and healthy food will steer you clear from the doctors.