Try this pizza loaded with crispy brussels sprouts, a cheesy mix of mozzarella and feta, and a final topping of sweet and savory beer caramelized onions with a drizzle of balsamic.
Every Friday is pizza night. Last week, I made the dough (click here for my favorite dough recipe) and decided it was time to celebrate the weekend. And what better way to celebrate than with boozy Brussels sprout pizza?
This delicious Brussels sprout pizza has a crispy top with a cheesy, boozy caramelized onion interior. Sweet, savory, and smoky flavors combine in what will soon be your favorite pizza!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 large red onion or 2 small onions, sliced
- ½ cup 118 mL dark beer
- 1 cup 88 g Brussels sprouts
- ½ Tbsp 7 mL olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large pizza dough store bought or homemade
- 1 Tbsp 15 mL olive oil
- 1 cup 180 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup to 1 cup 50 g to 100 g crumbled feta cheese
- 1 Tbsp 15 mL balsamic reduction*
- Melt butter in a pan over medium/low heat then add onions. Cook gently for 15 minutes, ensuring onions don’t become crispy.
- Increase heat to medium and add half of the beer to the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beer has evaporated. Add remaining beer and cook again until evaporated (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Separate leaves from the Brussels sprouts by trimming the bottom stem and plucking off the leaves. When you can’t easily pull off anymore leaves, finely slice the small sprout core.
- Toss Brussels sprout leaves and shreds with ½ Tbsp olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Use your finger to really work the oil into the leaf crevices for maximum crispiness while cooking!
- Spread 1 Tbsp olive oil onto the dough, then sprinkle on onions, mozzarella, sprouts, and feta cheese.
- Bake on a pizza pan or preheated pan at 425 degrees F (218 C) for 10 to 15 minutes, until top is lightly browned.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve immediately.
An Alaskan self-taught cook and nutritionist by trade, I love all things food and health. When I'm not exploring new ways to cook up healthy ingredients, I'm romping around the Netherlands, my new stomping grounds!