A simply spiced cocktail is garnished with a beautiful brûléed pear for smokey sweet flavor that a cold evening deserves.
The Brûléed Pear Cocktail is simple and sweet with a hint of spice from classic fall flavors like cinnamon and clove. An elegant brûléed pear slice garnishes this playful fall cocktail, though you can use a plain pear slice if you don’t have a torch.
If you can, sip this outside with crunchy leaves under your feet, sitting in front of a bonfire, or listening to your favorite fall music.
- 1 pear, cut into thick slices
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- ¼ cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 1 cup water
- 3 ounces rum
- 1½ ounces toasted pear simple syrup
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices of pear for garnish
- To make the simple syrup, put the pear slices, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Without disturbing the pear slices, toast them on one side for about 3 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown. Flip and toast on the second side.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of the sugar over the pears and spices and stir until it begins to melt and caramelize just a bit. Carefully add the water and bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the liquid reduces by about half.
- Pour the syrup through a strainer into a glass jar or liquid measuring cup. Set aside to cool.
- Begin by bruléeing the pear slices. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Using a torch, melt the sugar until it is golden and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly.
- While the slices cool, fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the rum, lemon juice and simple syrup and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Pour into a cocktail glass and garnish with a bruléed pear slice.