Bottle gourd cooks up pretty easily so if you don’t have a pressure cooker, sautéing in a saucepan should do the trick.
By Prathima Rao
Bottle Gourd and Tomato Soup
Bottle gourd cooks up pretty easily so if you don't have a pressure cooker, sautéing in a saucepan should do the trick.
Author: Prathima Rao
Recipe Type: Soup
- Bottle gourd lauki, – half of one big (or ½ kg)
- Tomatoes – 3 to 4 medium
- Ginger – ½ inch , peeled
- Whole black peppercorns - 6
- Onion – 1 medium
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) – 2 tbsp – to grind or chopped
- Butter – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Sugar – ½ to 1 tsp
- Tomato ketchup – 1 to 2 tbsp – optional
- Salt and crushed black pepper – to taste
- Wash, peel and dice lauki. Roughly chop tomatoes, onion.
- In a pressure cooker put bottle gourd, tomato, onion, ginger, whole peppercorns, 4 cups water. Cook up to 1 whistle and then lower flame and cook another 5 mins or till cooked. Remove from heat. Let pressure drop, then open lid.
- Cool the cooked mixture. Then blend to puree in mixer/blender. When blending you may add the coriander leaves if desired.
- Strain blended mixture. Pour puree into saucepan. Bring to boil. Add butter salt, pepper powder, sugar, ketchup if adding. Add chopped coriander if not added when grinding.
- Stir and simmer for few minutes.
- Serve hot.