Delicata squash, nicknamed Bohemian squash, caramelizes beautifully when roasted, and fanned atop a bed of greens in the perfect Thanksgiving salad.
By Kara and Marni Powers
One of our favorite heirloom gourds, delicata squash is often nicknamed Bohemian squash. The oblong shape with a forest green speckled and striped yellow exterior is radically different from the conventional acorn, butternut or pumpkin. The small size and thin skin allows for easy slicing, and the rich, creamy texture is reminiscent of a sweet potato. Caramelized beautifully when roasted, and fanned atop a bed of greens, the colorful gourd steals the show in any autumn salad
We arrange the festive half moons atop mixed greens with sweet and juicy sliced apples, crunchy toasted walnuts, pungent Parmesan shavings and a light cider vinaigrette. Not only is the dish a burst of flavors, the delicata star is packed with Vitamin A which keeps your eyes sharp and skin smooth. While we rarely stray from our traditional Thanksgiving menu, we are contemplating making an exception to include this delectable side salad.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium delicata squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 6 ounces mesclun and arugula mix
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and sliced into thin semi circles
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, shaved (we use a potato peeler)
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the delicata squash into ½-inch thick semi circles.
- Toss the squash with the olive oil, salt and pepper, and spread onto a lined baking sheet.
- Roast until fork tender and caramelized, about 15-17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- On a flat platter, lay out the mesclun mix and sprinkle with sliced apples and walnuts.
- Arrange the warm squash on top, scatter the Parmigiano Reggiano shavings, and a light drizzle of the Apple Cider Vinaigrette.