With bold color and flavor, this roasted beet hummus is a winner. The sweet, tangy, salty, nutty, and garlic flavors merge into a delectable dip that’s almost too good to be true.
By Amy Dong
I regret to inform you all that I’ve sadly neglected this humble purple root for years. Though beets were always stacked high at local farmer’s markets and in grocery stores, I never knew what I could do with them.
Until a couple years ago, when I started roasting those beautiful tubers. Then emerged this ridiculously moist and yummy Chocolate Beet Cake (see the recipe here, you HAVE to try it).
Now I think I’ve landed on the most breathtaking dip that exists – it’s not only spectacularly gorgeous to look at, it’s also astonishingly delicious.
This Beet Hummus is creamy, smooth, slightly sweet from beets, tangy from lemons, and savory all at the same time and it boasts a nutty flavor from the tahini.
- 3 medium (about 3 inches in diameter) beets, stems/leaves removed
- ½ cup Tahini (pure sesame paste)
- 3 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Pita chips or tortilla chips for serving
- Do Ahead: Preheat toaster oven or regular oven to 400F. Wrap beets individually in foil. Roast in oven about 1 to 1½ hours or until tender when pierced with fork. Carefully remove foil and let cool completely. Remove skin once cool (will be very easy.)
- In a heavy duty blender or food processor, combine roasted beets, Tahini, lemon juice, garlic, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Blend or process on medium high until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, scrape hummus into serving bowl. Drizzle with desired amount of olive oil (I use about 2-3 TB.) If desired, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with soft pita bread, crispy pita chips, or tortilla chips. Can be kept chilled, in airtight container, for several days.
Welcome to our kitchen! Here is the place where you'll find an ever-growing collection of all things yum. We're an active, hyper-busy family of six (including Miss Dog) -- we get how hard it is to put delicious 'n healthy food on the table every night! We do the recipe testing so your family will love what you dish up, and your friends will be begging for your recipes. Come on over and let's get cooking!