Let your eggplant soak up some spice and then sizzle in the oven. Perfectly crisp fries, all you have to do is dip them in garlic aioli or hot sauce and devour.
By Shuchi Mittal
You’re my hero true,
I put you in pasta
Or curry for two.
You are filled with iron
And that I like,
You char & sizzle
And soak up spice!
Now you’ve taken on fries
In an avatar new,
I’m not a stalker
But I’m so in love with you!”
- 1 small eggplant, washed and cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 teaspoons chat masala (Indian mixed spice)
- 5 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Toss the eggplant with all the dry ingredients [except the chat masala] and 5 tablespoons of olive oil, till the pieces are evenly covered with flour.
- Line on a baking tray and sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly across.
- Bake in a 400 F pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes, turning once in between. The pieces will turn brown and crisp on the outside, but will remain slightly soft on the inside.
- Cool slightly [will crisp up more] and eat it all up with some Sriracha or garlic aioli.
Shuchi cooks with the heart of a poet. Banker turned chef, she runs the 29. Private Kitchen in NYC focusing on social tasting events, dining experiences and small-scale private events. Using simple & wholesome ingredients, she likes to re-invent homemade Indian flavors into modern tapas & small plates. Her dream? To cook, feed, write, and eventually open her own communal dining cafe - with a published recipe book on the stands.