While they’re in season, let’s eat all the asparagus we can, starting with this creamy asparagus risotto.
Since the asparagus have a very short season, I take this opportunity to eat them almost every day, when possible. They contain many beneficial properties for the body and are very versatile. Creamy asparagus risotto is a classic of Italian cuisine, in spring. This vegetarian (or vegan, if butter free) dish contains all the flavors of a few but great quality ingredients: organic Italian semi round brown rice, wild asparagus, sea salt and a very special strong Sicilian extra virgin olive oil, ideal for a perfect butter free creaming.
- A small bunch of asparagus (wild if possible)
- 200 g (5 oz) semi round brown rice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4-5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Wash and clean the asparagus and cut the tops finely.
- Wash the brown rice and cook al dente, in boiling salted water (half a liter of water), until water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, stir in extra virgin olive oil (if you choose Italian oil, is preferable a strong oil from Southern Italy or Sicily, which better enhances the unmistakable taste of asparagus).
- Add a sprinkle of good Parmigiano for a more creamy risotto. Serve immediately.