These buckwheat pancakes are bursting with great flavor from coconut water. Top with an awesome coconut cream-chocolate sauce for a brunch that’s also fit for a lavish dessert.
By Arie Elle
You can never have too many pancake recipes, right? This buckwheat pancake recipe is all about the creamy chocolate cashew cream topping.
These pancakes are gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar free. Making gluten-free pancakes sometimes doesn’t result in fluffy, luscious clouds of pancake heaven but I have a few secrets for you to make your gluten-free pancakes a little fluffier.
1 – protein powder helps a lot – I like to use pea or rice protein powder
2 – yoghurt – this can help your pancakes rise a little
3 – apple cider vinegar – a dash of apple cider can help the rising process also
4 – add in some mashed banana for some extra creamy goodness
I’m all about being creative in the kitchen, so, what happens when you’ve run out of milk and you want to make pancakes? You use coconut water! I happened to have COCO JAX ridiculously yummy chocolate flavour on hand and it works a treat. The Chocolate flavour is actually quite creamy almost like chocolate flavoured almond milk and it’s sweetened with coconut sugar.
So get your pan ready and feel free to indulge in these decadent pancakes.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder (rice or pea)
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1 carton chocolate flavoured COCO JAX coconut water
- ¼ cup almond milk
- coconut oil for cooking
- Handful raspberries/strawberries for topping
- ½ cup cashews (soaked for 2 hours)
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- ¾ cup chocolate COCO JAX coconut water
- 3 dates
- 6 tsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp COCO JAX coconut oil
- Whisk egg well in large bowl
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well until smooth
- Heat pan on medium to high and melt coconut oil
- Add about ⅓-1/2 cup of pancake mixture to the pan and turn pan in circles to form a larger, thinner round pancake
- Cook for 1-2minutes each side. You should begin to see many bubbles on top of the pancake
- With your spatula check to see if the pancake has browned nicely on the bottom and flip
- Repeat until the mixture is gone. Be sure to re-oil the pan with coconut oil between pancakes to prevent burning and sticking.
- Blend all ingredients in high speed blender until smooth
- You can spoon a dollop of chocolate cream in between each pancake stack or simply drizzle on top
- Top with raspberries or strawberries and eat!