Warm asparagus and toasted hazelnuts served with a hardboiled egg and crispy bacon is a great breakfast or hearty lunch. Drizzle with a mustard vinaigrette to bring all the flavors together.
By Simone Van Den Berg
Warm asparagus and toasted hazelnuts served with a hardboiled egg and crispy bacon is a great breakfast or hearty lunch salad. Drizzle with a mustard vinaigrette to bring all the flavors together.
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 3 duck eggs (or 5 large hen’s eggs)
- 500g asparagus, about 30 medium spears
- 50g hazelnuts, toasted and crushed
- 3 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp smooth French mustard
- Heat grill to High and cook the bacon for 5 mins until crisp, then snip with scissors into pieces. Set aside.
- Cook the eggs in boiling water for 8 mins (5 mins for hen’s eggs), drain and plunge into ice water, to cool as quickly as possible.
- whisk all ingredients together with seasoning. Prepare the asparagus by snapping off the base of each spear – it’ll break at the tender point.
- Just before serving, put the nuts and bacon into a warm oven. Halve the eggs and season.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil; cook the asparagus for about 5 mins, until just tender.
- Drain, then divide between plates. Add egg halves, sprinkle with nuts and bacon, then drizzle with dressing in a zigzag pattern.
Simone van den Berg is a Netherlands based freelance food photographer and food blogger. She has a passion for cooking, food and travel, which she shares on her blog Simone's Kitchen and of course right here on Honest Cooking.