Here is a healthy one pot meal of vegetable dalia. basically, dalia is this the hindi term for broken cereals.
By Dassana Amit
Dalia is considered to be one of the simplest and healthiest foods, low in fat and cholesterol, high in iron and fibre, good in carbs. Often recommended to kids or people recovering from illness.
- 1 cup dalia/broken wheat
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup shelled green peas/fresh or frozen
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- splutter the cumin first in the hot oil.
- add chopped onions and saute till they become transparent.
- now add chopped ginger, green chilies and saute for some seconds
- add tomato and saute for 1 minute.
- now add all the veggies and saute for 2 minutes.
- keep stirring
- rinse the dalia and add to the veggies.
- stir for 3-4 minutes.
- add 4 cups water and salt
- stir and pressure cook for 10-12 whistles till the dalia is cooked well.
- if the dalia has not cooked completely, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few whistles more or cook without the lid till they are softened and you get a porridge like consistency.
- garnish vegetable dalia with coriander leaves and serve hot or warm.
Dassana never intended to start a food blog. She never ever thought about blogging in her wildest of dreams. Her only passion in her life was meditation. As she went deeper in meditation, she realized that her inborn gift of cooking delicious & healthy food needs some creative expression. So she started her blog " Veg Recipes of India " as an outcome of creative flowing energy. Now she has also combined her another gift i.e photography with cooking. When not blogging & food photographing - she works as a web developer and seo expert.