For a fun meal to serve a crowd, make a batch of rice and serve with a variety of toppings so everyone can make their own sushi bowl.
By Rachael Hartley
This dish embodies my philosophy of joyful eating. It’s simple to make, fun to eat and is made with only minimally processed ingredients. For me, this dish brings to mind so many happy food memories – sushi nights with my best girlfriends and the smoked salmon bagels I lived on as a child growing up in NYC. The bowl is packed with mood-enhancing foods, like fatty fish, whole grains and probiotic rich, fermented soy sauce. And of course, there’s avocado.
For a fun meal to serve a crowd, make a big batch of the rice and serve with a variety of toppings so everyone can make their own sushi bowl. Cooked shrimp, seared tuna, marinated tofu/tempeh, radishes, shredded carrot and and steamed asparagus would be fun additions.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2-3 tablespoons naturally brewed soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons pickled ginger, finely chopped
- 1 package of toasted nori snacks, or two large sheets of nori, toasted
- 2 cups snow peas, halved
- 1 cucumber, seeded and julienned
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- 2 small avocados, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil mayo or vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- Bring 1½ cups water to a boil with 1 cup of brown rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Then uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Once rice has cooled to room temperature (I prepped the ingredients as it cooled), combine it with scallions, sesame seeds, soy sauce, ginger, and toasted nori. Add more soy sauce and ginger if desired.
- Whisk together sriracha and mayo in a small bowl.
- Divide rice between four bowls. Top with snow peas, cucumber, smoked salmon and sliced avocado. Drizzle with spicy sriracha mayo.
Hi there! I'm Rachael Hartley, a dietitian, food blogger, whole food lover and avocado enthusiast. My mission is to help you rediscover the joy of eating. I believe living a healthy, fulfilled life should be fun, simple and most of all, delicious!