Exactly what you were thinking – a mac and cheese that is both sweet and savory? Well, it’s pretty darn good.
By Jocelyn Ruggiero of Relish
Mark Boughton Photography / Styling by Teresa Blackburn
The savory is bacon and parmesan cheese. The sweet is honey. Generously mix these ingredients with a deep dish of cream cheesy pasta shells and you’ve got a main dessert course
This article has been posted with permission and originally appeared as, “Sweet and Salty Mac and Cheese” on Relish.
Savory and Sweet Mac and CheeseJocelyn Ruggiero for Relish
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 pound large pasta shells
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 pound plus ¼ cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and milk. Reduce heat to low, and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes,
- stirring frequently. Add Parmesan and cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Cook pasta. Pour cheese mixture over pasta and mix well. Stir in honey and ¾ lb bacon.
- Pour into a 2½-qt casserole dish, top with ¼ cup bacon and bake 20 minutes.
Offering more than 14,000 recipes plus features and DIYs on cooking, dining and entertaining, Relish celebrates America's love of food. Relish is about honoring cooking traditions while exploring new trends and ideas, which is why millions of people turn to both Relish.com and Relish Magazine for special occasion recipes, quick and easy weeknight suppers and culinary adventures.