This One Pot Vegetarian Pasta Casserole is made entirely in one pan or skillet. It is made with lots of veggies and cheese that is baked off until golden.
I have a filling and comforting one pot vegetarian casserole today for this week’s ‘One pot dishes‘ theme. My whole family loves pasta (though in different ways) and I am always looking for different pasta dishes. So this one pot pasta dish is my latest trial that was quite tasty and my new favorite.
I was taught to cook pasta in lots and lots of boiling water. So making pasta dishes always involved 2 pots. But when I saw some one pot pasta dishes in Cooking Light magazine, I was intrigued and I bookmarked them. I didn’t get a chance to try until I picked up this theme.
So there’s no need for for a big pot of boiling water to make this dish. All this recipe needs is a big skillet that is oven safe and that’s it, everything goes into the skillet, cooked and straight to the table. This one-dish recipe minimizes kitchen prep, cleanup and delivers maximum flavor.
I used whole wheat pasta and this is probably one of the few recipes I really enjoyed the nutty and chewy texture wholewheat pasta lends. Regular pasta can also be used in the dish, just make sure to reduce the cooking time.
- 1 cup Shortcut Wholewheat Pasta (I used penne)
- 1 Small Onion, finely diced
- 1 Small Carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Medium Eggplant, diced
- ½ cup Soy granules aka TVP (optional), soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, then drained and squeezed
- 1 cup Marinara sauce (homemade or storebought)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1½ cups vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a oven safe saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot and garlic; cook, stirring frequently until the veggies are tender, about 4~5 minutes.
- Stir in the eggplant and the soy granules. Cover and cook till eggplant is tender and soft, about 6~8 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper and salt.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, marinara sauce, pasta and 2tbsp basil. Bring the mixture to a boil; cook for 10~12 minutes or until the pasta is almost cooked, stirring frequently.
- Top with grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 12~15 minutes or until pasta is done. Sprinkle with remaining 1tbsp basil and serve!!