Enjoy this amazing octopus with red pepper aioli recipe from Camille Becerra.A true show-stopper.
By Camille Becerra
- 1 octopus
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 whole chilies
- 3 pinches sea salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 1 penny
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ½ cup safflower or grapeseed oil
- salt to taste
- -Get your pot hot and add lemon, once brown add onion and garlic, lower heat as to not burn garlic. Add the spices and salt.
- -Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half. Add stock and allow to come to a full boil. Wash the penny with dish soap and drop it in. Traditionally octopus was made it copper pots, the chemical reaction gives the octopus a beautiful red color when seared.
- -Add the octopus, lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook low for 1 ½ hours.
- -In a food processor add garlic and salt, pulsing to a paste.
- -Add pepper, lemon juice and yolk, buzz till light and frothy.
- -Add oil in a very slow steady stream, 1 teaspoon at a time to insure emulsification.
- -Adjust seasoning with salt and more lemon.
Camille Becerra is a chef with over 15 years of NYC restaurant experience. She appeared on Top Chef as a contestant in Season 3, was the owner of the beloved Brooklyn restaurant, Paloma and founded various pop-ups throughout the city including The Hunger and The Cookery. Camille is currently hosting dinners Friday nights from her Tribeca loft and developing various food related projects for media and publishing.