On the Venetian island of Corfu, Chef Alexandros Kapsokavadis creates fettuccine with saffron and a delicious duo of fresh seafood, try his recipe.
By Michelle M. Winner
Image: Kurt Winner
On the Venetian inspired island of Corfu in Greece, one is left to the business of relaxation. I like the large Marbella Corfu Hotel for quite a few reasons. It sits on the sea and you can access the pebbly beach via an underground walkway without having to cross the street. It has many room types, so you can find a quiet sea view room for two or a family suite. It has an incredible breakfast; the whole scene is crazy but it is managed with such grace that you always get a table and there are never any long lines. Plus the meal is lovely with anything you might want on the buffet including an omelet station, fresh juices, hot and cold cereals, meats, roasted veggies, pastries, and cheeses.
There is one other compelling reason; the executive chef Mr. Alexandros Kapsokavadis is a wonder. For a special dinner by the sea at Bussola restaurant, one course was this luscious pasta dish. The Black and Yellow Seafood Fettuccine with Saffron from Kozsani, was expertly paired with a glass of Malagouzia Gerobasiliou and was heaven by the Ionian Sea.
- Black and Yellow Fettuccine with Sea food and “Kozanis’s saffron”
- Black fettuccine 60gr
- Yellow fettuccine 60gr
- Oysters 3 pieces
- Prawns 16/20 2 pieces
- ½ onion- chopped
- Fresh garlic to taste- minced
- Fresh tomatoes- chopped
- Pinch of Saffron
- ½ cup fish stock
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil
- In a pan we add a big spoon of olive oil, chopped onion and garlic.
- Have your fettuccine noodles cooking in a separate pot.
- Add the prawns and the oysters and after awhile the fresh tomatoes.
- A few minutes later add the fish stock with the saffron and when hot, at the end we add the two cooked and drained, fettuccine to heat through.
- Do not overcook.
- Decorate with fresh basil.