Alicia Silverstone’s Coffee- Infused Brownies : Makes 12 Brownies Time: 2 hours
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup brown flour rice
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups maple sugar
- ¾ cups maple sugar
- ¾ cup nondairy milk
- ¾ cup brewed decaf coffee
- 11/2 cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups grain-sweetened vegan chocolate or carob chips
- ½ cup Earth balanced buttery spread
- Preheat the oven to 325oF. Oil and 8″ x 8″ or 9″ x 9″ square baking dish
- To make brownies:
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, stirring once or until they are lightly browned and fragrant. Transfer to a bowl and cool
- In a large bowl, sift together the pastry flour, brown rice flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar. In a medium bowl, combine the milk, coffee and oil. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until well combined. Stir in walnuts until they are evenly distributed in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the brownies. If it comes out clean the brownies are done. If it does not, return the brownies to the oven for another 5 minutes and repeat until they are done. Transfer the baking dish to a wire rack and let the brownies cool completely.
- To make the glaze:
- After the brownies have cooled, in a double boiler, melt the chocolate or carob chips and Earth Balance, gently stirring until thoroughly incorporated. If you do not have a double boiler, you can place a stainless steel bowl over a pot of gently boiling water. Once the glaze is ready, pour it over the brownies.
- Transfer the baking dish to the refrigerator and allow it to cool for 1 hour, or until the glaze has completely set.
- Cut the brownies into 12 squares and serve
- Category: Vegan Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan Desert