This salad makes use of crunchy, nearly-raw brussels sprouts in addition to kale for a winter salad full of fresh flavors.
By Bryan Picard
- a bunch of kale, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 15 Brussels sprouts
- handful of dried cranberries
- pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and blanch the Brussels sprouts for one minute.
- Transfer them to ice cold water. Pick as much leaves of the Brussels sprouts as you can, and thin slice the rest.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the kale, Brussels sprouts, cranberries, salt, and the dressing.
- Mix all ingredients in a jar.
Bryan Picard is a wild and homegrown food enthusiast. He lives in the Maritimes in Canada and has worked the kitchens as a cook and chef for the past ten years. He writes on his blog The Bite House.