The secret to the “perfect” madeleine is a balance between a slightly crunchy crust and moist, fluffy interior. This gluten-free, refined sugar-free recipe lacks nothing in texture and has a toasted, golden flavor to boot!
- 3/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 tsp guar gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (note: not all baking powder is gluten free)
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- Heat over to 400-425 degrees.
- Mix flour, guar gum and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until thickened, for about 3 minutes.
- Add almond extract and lemon zest to eggs and sugar. Beat until mixed.
- Add melted butter to liquid mixture. Beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Gently, fold dry ingredients into liquid mixture with a spatula.
- Grease your Madeleine pan(s).
- Spread a heaping teaspoon of batter into each indentation of your Madeleine pan.
- Bake each tray of Madeleines until golden (10-12 minutes)
You can also add orange flower water, lavender seeds or even a savory spice (thyme, sage, rosemary, fennel) to the madeleines, for a more adventurous treat.
The best way to remove the finished madeleines from the pan is to gently nudge them out of their “shell” with a soft spatula.
A dusting of powdered sugar makes for a lovely presentation (for those who are not avoiding highly-processed sugars).
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins