When thinking of lamb skewers and a zucchini cheese bake, perhaps your guess is that it may take a lot of time to prepare and cook. Don’t wait till the weekend to make this. Try this recipe and see just how easy it is!
When I say weeknight really I mean easy and this Weeknight Lamb skewers, Zucchini Cheese Bake is laughably easy. So much so it will take you pretty much no time at all. In fact, I have even cheated a fair bit. I bought the skewers ready made. They are un-marinated, that’s a very important factor. Marinades can often contain all kinds of sugars and salt, thickeners, and flavourings that just don’t suit me. I don’t intend to preach but I bought them from a butcher who buys from a farm , cuts the whole pieces down and has the apprentice thread the skewers. They were amazing. One amazing is all you need to pair with a cheese laden side. Don’t you think?
They take literally minutes on the hotplate. They also taste extra good on a bed of whipped feta with capers and tiny cornichons too. Wanna make whipped feta?
The other things on this dish were actually in my pantry. Zucchini being the one item that makes this so quick and completely delicious. I love Zucchini. I usually can’t get anyone else to eat Zucchini round here but since it is covered in tomato passata and cheese it was just like a big zucchini pizza and everyone ate it!
Look at that Lasagna like cheesy goodness!
I ate mine with a huge wedge of lettuce smothered in chickpea water mayonnaise that had chopped capers and baby cornichons through it. Oh wow, that combination with Lamb is just the best.
Wait a minute. Have you made Chickpea water mayonnaise?
There’s a recipe and video. You need to make it. It lasts in the fridge so much longer than mayonnaise made with egg yolk. You totally need this recipe.
So with this white so amazingly delicious mayonnaise with crunchy bits, cheese so much cheese and zucchinis I think you might have everything you need for the quickest dinner in town. You can also serve this with some buttered pasta or quinoa for a carb hit if you need to.
The recipe is quite basic. Slice Zucchinis evenly. Pour over tomato sauce, cheese and bake. Done.
- 12 lamb Skewers
- 1 clove crushed garlic optional
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- * Add 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary or oregano if you like
- 3 - 4 large Zucchinis I had three giant ones sliced very fine and evenly
- 700 ml / 23.70 fl oz tomato passata
- 200 gm cheddar cheese grated
- 100 gm grated mozzarella or more if you like
- Put the Zucchini into the baking dish in one layer. Laying them out in the Zucchini shape.
- Pour over the tomato passata and add a sprinkling of salt and pepper
- Put the baking dish in the oven for 15 minutes. Take it out and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the zucchini tender.
- Meantime lay out the skewers in a dish. Add the oil, garlic and herbs if using sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Cook the skewers over high heat on a BBQ or in a fry pan till browned on one side then turn cooking for 1-2 minutes. Put onto a platter to rest.
- Serve with the cheese baked Zucchini
- This is perfect with chickpea water mayonnaise mixed with chopped capers and cornichons . find the recipe under How to make Mayonnaise with Chickpea water
- You could also add panko or sourdough crumbs to the top of this for extra crunch.
- You could also make your own lamb skewers by cutting up lamb leg steaks.
After completing Culinary School in Sydney, Tania travelled the world working as a Chef in restaurants, doing catering and cooking on road for a travel company in Europe and the US. Once back at home, the birth of her son meant a change, and during his small years, she enjoyed jobs in wholesale food, buying Artisan food products, testing and recipe writing as sales and educational tools. Tania is now back to what she loves, working as an in house Chef for a large retailer, conducting Cooking Classes and writing recipes for her blog.