A basic apple pie is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser and if you can take the time to master the lattice top it’ll be a show-stopper as well.
By Camille Becerra
Classic Apple Pie
A basic apple pie is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser and if you can take the time to master the lattice top it'll be a show-stopper as well.
Author: Camille Becerra
Recipe Type: Dessert
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pinches of salt
- 5 large cooking apples
- 3 tbl butter
- 2½ c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbl sugar
- 2 sticks of butter, cut into medium size cubes
- With a food processor, pastry cutter or hands mix the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add butter and pulse or cut until a course meal texture in achieved with obvious butter flakes throughout.
- Add cold/iced water slowly until dough forms. Up to ¼ cup of water generally.
- Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, form two disks and wrap individually. Allow to rest in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- mix the first set of ingredients in a bowl. Peeled, core and slice apples adding and tossing them into the mixture as you go.
- roll out the two pie dough disks.
- line a pie tin with the first of the rolled out dough.
- pour the apple mixture into prepared pie shell and dot with butter.
- cover with 2nd rolled out dough or use it to make a lattice or other decorative pie technique.
- allow to chill in the freezer for ½ hour.
- warm oven to 375 degrees.
- crack an egg, whisk and use to gently brush the top of pie then sprinkle a good and even amount of sugar atop.
- bake pie till golden brown on top, 40-60 minutes.
- allow to rest on a cooling rack for ½ hour before cutting into it.