No, this is not your usual hummus. I repeat, this is not your usual hummus. But it is whipped with avocado and basil and is oh, so good.
Who loves snacks?
Here I am, raising my hand. Like a nerd in front of my computer screen as I write this. Raising my hand that I love snacks and I love this Avocado Bean Dip.
But, in my defense, it is avocado. It’s exciting all on it’s own (and I put it in and on almost everything I eat) but when combined with garbanzo beans, a handful of garden herbs, fresh lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and the perfect amount of seasoning, that avocado is elevated af. The food processor whips it until fluffy and light (like air, but tasty!) and you (I) literally can’t stop dipping.
I like it with a smattering of crushed red pepper flakes for that lil bit of heat.
And my vehicle of choice: bagel chips, whole grain crackers, soft pita or a handful of crisp, fresh veggies. Or all of the above. I’m not even ashamed to say I eat this with a spoon (no vehicle necessary). I can actually say this dip is refreshing, and that’s not a typical reaction when eating dip. Must be because it’s not loaded with cream cheese and melty, gooey cheese. Not to say I’d turn that down, because I absolutely wouldn’t.
But I think you’ll like it! Take 10 minutes to whip it up, and you won’t even need to cook dinner.
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained
- 3 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- ½ cup fresh basil, oregano and/or thyme + more for garnish
- Zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ tsp. coarse salt + more to taste
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ? cup olive oil + more for garnish
- Pinch red pepper flakes, for garnish
- Bagel chips, pita, crackers or crudités, for serving
- Place chickpeas, avocados, herbs, lemon, garlic salt, pepper and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until very smooth and fluffy, scraping the sides down with a spatula as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve the avocado dip with an extra drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Garnish with herbs, if desired. Serve with bagel chips, pita, crackers or crudités.