Make a buttery tart from scratch, complete with a soft almond filling and a spread of fruit preserves for extra flavor.
By Manuela Mazzocco
Looking for a delicious, nutty, buttery, crumbly dessert that is easy to make and everybody will love?!
You’ve come to the right place!
On top of the buttery base crust, I spread apricot preserve, for extra flavor. You can choose a different fruit preserve if you prefer, like peach, plum, fig, berry… Or, just skip the preserve all together. In this case, I suggest adding half teaspoon of almond extract to the filling, for a more nutty aroma.
- 2 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup (75 gr) of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- a pinch of salt
- 6 oz (170 gr) unsalted butter (soften)
- 2 cups (300 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 5 egg whites
- ⅓ cup (75 gr) of sugar
- 2 cups (200 gr) of almond meal
- ⅓ cup (100 gr) apricot preserve (or your favorite fruit preserve - optional)
- ¼ cup (30 gr) of sliced almonds (I used Trader Joe's unsalted dry toasted sliced almonds)
- powdered sugar for decorating (optional)
- Grease an 11 in (28 cm) tart pan with butter and flour (or spray). Preheat the oven to 375° F (190° C).
- Starting with the crust: in a large bowl, beat two egg yolks with a ⅓ cup of sugar, one teaspoon of vanilla extract, two tablespoons of milk and a pinch of salt. Save the egg whites for later.
- Add 6 oz (one stick and a half) of butter cut in pieces and mix.
- Blend in the flour, one cup at a time.
- Move the dough onto the tart pan, and press it down using your hands (or a spoon). Make it s flat as possible. Work with your fingers around the edges to make it even. Remove any extra dough form the sides. Prick the dough with a fork. You can use weight for the dough. I normally don't bother, the little holes are enough to keep it flat.
- Bake the crust at 375° F (190° C) for about 20 minutes
- Start preparing the filling: in a large bowl, whip the egg whites. Gently fold in the sugar first, and two cups of almond meal.
- Spread the crust when ready with the apricot preserve. Pour the almond mixture on top and level helping yourself with a spoon.
- Sprinkle the top with sliced almonds, lower the temperature of the oven to 350° F (175° C) and bake for about 25 minutes in the middle/upper part of the oven, until slightly golden on top.
- Wait for the tart to cool down before removing from the pan. Decorate with powdered sugar if you'd like.