So easy to make and so delicious, you’ve got to try this and feel the rush and the power of making your very own homemade marmalade.
By Priya Mahadevan
- 12-14 good sized tangerines, pitted
- 1 cup of White Sugar
- 1cup of sugar in the raw
- ¾ -1 cup of orange blossom honey
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1tsp orange essence
- Wash tangerines thoroughly and dab dry with paper towel or kitchen towel.
- Soak in the honey for about 30 minutes.
- Peel them in such a way that you get some big pieces that can then later be cut.
- Cut the orange sideways to reveal the wheel. For pitting it, I took a blunt knife and simply ferreted out the seeds.
- Chop the tangerines slices roughly.
- Strain the juice and keep separate.
- In a large 5 or 6 quart pot, add the sugars and the juice and allow it to thin .
- Once it gets a syrupy consistency, add the tangerine pieces and honey and the rinds.
- Allow this to simmer for about 20-40 minutes or until you see the jam thickening to the preferred consistency. This would be the time to grate the nutmeg into the pot and stir.
- Cool and store in Jars.