Soft and chewy, these Indian whole wheat breads are lightly spiced with a touch of sweetness from the potatoes. They are the perfect balance for serving with any spicy curries.
By Sasi Balaraman
- Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Hing - ½ tsp, optional
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water until soft. Let it cool and mash it up really well without any lumps. Add rest of the ingredients and knead until you get a soft & pliable dough. Knead for atleast 15 mins and set aside for 20 mins. Add water (only if needed) while kneading the dough.
- Grease your hands and rolling board with oil. Take about ¼ cup of dough and roll it into a ball. Use a rolling-pin or hands, whichever you prefer and flatten the ball into thin circle. Go as thin as you could go.
- Heat a griddle and when hot, place the flattened roti on the griddle and cook it until brown spots appear on both the sides. Remove from heat and store it in a covered container.
- Serve warm with any spicy side of your choice.