Deena Wachtel gives us a wonderful recipe for steamed clams in wine with pancetta.
By Deena Wachtel
- 4 ounces, pancetta, fine dice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted & ground
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 2 pounds littleneck or Manilla clams, scrubbed
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- Render the pancetta over medium heat. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cook the onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin and salt in oil in a heavy pot, over moderate heat until almost a jam consistency. Add pancetta. Stir in wine and bring to a boil.
- Add clams. Boil with the pot covered until the clams open - 3-4 minutes.
- Discard any clams that don't open.
- Season with pepper and stir in cilantro.
- Serve with slices of French Baguette.