This slightly spicy chutney works well with fried fritters of all sorts or spread inside a gooey grilled cheese.
By Rinku Bhattacharya
- 11/2 tablespoons of oil (preferably mustard)
- 11/2 tablespoon very finely diced or grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 cup of cranberries
- 4 bay leaves
- 11/2 cups of water
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 11/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup of slivered apricots
- Heat the oil and add in the ginger and saute lightly for a minutes.
- Add in the mustard seeds and wait for them to pop. Add in the nigella seeds.
- Add in the cranberries and the bay leaves and the water and sugar and the red pepper flakes.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until the cranberries pop and soften, you will actually hear the cranberries pop! My kids have a lot of fun with this.
- Stir in the apricots and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Cool and serve. This can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.