Exactly what you were thinking – a mac and cheese that is both sweet and savory? Well, it’s pretty darn good.
By Jocelyn Ruggiero of Relish
Mark Boughton Photography / Styling by Teresa Blackburn
The savory is bacon and parmesan cheese. The sweet is honey. Generously mix these ingredients with a deep dish of cream cheesy pasta shells and you’ve got a main dessert course
This article has been posted with permission and originally appeared as, “Sweet and Salty Mac and Cheese” on Relish.
- 5tablespoons butter
- 6tablespoons flour
- 3cups 2% reduced fat milk
- 2cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1pound large pasta shells
- ½cup honey
- ¾pound plus ¼ cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and milk. Reduce heat to low, and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes,
- stirring frequently. Add Parmesan and cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Cook pasta. Pour cheese mixture over pasta and mix well. Stir in honey and ¾ lb bacon.
- Pour into a 2½-qt casserole dish, top with ¼ cup bacon and bake 20 minutes.