Glorious flavors usually found in a cannoli, come together for the ultimate dessert bar. They are super easy to make, but still decadent with beautiful green pistachios.
By Kathleen Siegle
These bars are so simple to make and I can honestly say that this has become one of my favorite recipes. I mentioned three glorious layers, remember? First up is the bottom. A chewy sugar cookie layer with almond extract, a moist middle cookie layer with ricotta, sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chunks and pistachios, and a rich dark chocolate ganache layer drowns the top. And don’t forget the fancy pistachios!
If you love these bars, next you have to make these Cannoli Cupcakes.
- 1 (18.25 oz.) pkg. white cake mix, divided or your favorite white cake recipe
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 (16 oz.) container (2 cups) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ tsp. pure almond extract
- 1½ cup chopped dark or semi sweet chocolate
- 1 cup roasted pistachios, chopped
- 12 oz bag of dark or semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 F and lining a 9x13 baking dish with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray or rub generously with butter.
- Take ½ a cup of the cake mix and set aside. You will be using this to mix into the second layer of the bars.
- In a bowl, mix the remaining cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg with an electric mixer until a dough forms.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, blend together the ricotta, sweetened condensed milke, and almond extract until fully combined.
- Mix in the ½ cup cake mix and 3 eggs until smooth. Fold in the chocolate chunks and ½ of the pistachios.
- Spread over the layer of dough.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes being careful to not over bake. Take out of the oven when the middle is barely set.
- Place in refrigerator to fully cool.
- In a medium bowl, place the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat the heavy cream over medium low until a low bowl just starts.
- Take off the heat and pour over chocolate chips.
- Carefully fold until the chocolate is melted and glossy.
- Pour over the cannoli bars and sprinkle with the rest of the pistachios and place in fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.