Comfort Heaven: Pear And Gouda Grilled Cheese Sandwich
There are few things that come to mind that bring up the thought “Comfort Foods”, like that of gooey melted cheese.
Text And Photo By Alisha Randell
I have really been in the mood to play around with some of the Classics and what is more classic than toasted or grilled cheese sandwiches. Or fruit and cheese pairings for that matter.
This is an incredibly easy sandwich to put together that is sure to delight your family or guests.
Pear and Gouda Grilled Cheese
Author: Alisha Randell
Recipe Type: Main Course
- For the glaze:
- ½ cup (118.5 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp (ml) fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup (75 g) fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- For the sandwich:
- 8 slices ciabatta bread
- 16 slices gouda cheese
- 2 oz aged gouda cheese, shaved
- 1-2 fresh firm ripened pears, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbs (120 gr) butter, melted
- Pinch of finishing salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Begin by bringing balsamic , lemon juice and cherries to a boil. Then reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until reduced by at least half.
- Slice pears thinly and set aside.
- Once your glaze had reduced allow to cool slightly, then brush one side of bread with glaze, alternating slices.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to melted butter. Brush melted butter onto one side of bread and place buttered side down on a grill or frying pan.
- Add one layer of gouda, pear, agged gouda the additional gouda. Making sure that the cheese will melt onto both slices of bread.
- Top with the second slice of bread with the glazed portion facing the cheese. Brush outer side with additional butter.
- Grill on low heat until lightly golden and cheese begins to melt.
This can be served warm or at room temperature and makes for a great appitizer as well as a main dish served along side fresh fruit, soup or salad.