Lemon zest, olive oil, and fresh zucchini make this bright, sweet bread anything but ordinary.
There are so many recipes I love to make with zucchini. Now that it’s in season again, I figured zucchini bread was a good place to start.
Using olive oil here rather than a neutral-tasting vegetable oil really has a huge impact on the flavor. As long as you’re using good quality, fruity, extra virgin olive oil, I think you’ll agree it’s a delicious addition.
I chose the traditional walnuts and the less traditional currants for fillings, because I think they compliment each other, as well as, the zucchini bread itself very well. Plus, it just seems natural to keep an Italian-theme going here. My last flavorful ingredient of note is lemon zest. It helps brighten everything up a bit and goes so well with the olive oil.
- 1 ½ C all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ C light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ C plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (not nonfat)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ C grated zucchini
- ⅓ C walnuts, chopped
- ¼ C currants or ⅓ C regular or golden raisins
- Salted butter, softened (preferably European)
- Honey, for drizzling
- Chunky sea salt (such as fleur de sel or maldon), for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg). In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar until well-combined. Stir in the yogurt, zest and vanilla. Stream in the oil while whisking until incorporated. Stir in the zucchini.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients in 2 to 3 additions. Do not overmix. Fold in the walnuts and currants. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 40-50 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Serve with softened butter, honey and sea salt, if desired. Enjoy.