Make-ahead Mocha Devil’s Food Cupcakes
Enjoy these deligthful, simple to make cupcakes. Recipe courtesy of Hannah Messinger.
By Hannah Messeinger
Make-ahead Mocha Devil's Food Cupcakes
Author: Hannah Messinger, adapted from Martha Stewart
Recipe Type: Baking
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup fresh, hot, medium roast coffee
- 3 cups (about 13.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups plus 2T raw cane sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temp
- 1T vanilla
- 1 cup full fat greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 pound bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3T light corn syrup (if you don't want to use corn syrup, whip up a batch of this)
- 2⅓ cups heavy whipping cream
- splash of Kahlua*
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake tin.
- Whisk coffee and cocoa together in a measuring cup until smooth. In a small bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until cool to the touch. Add eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla. Add coffee mixture. Finally, alternate folding in flour and sour cream, starting and ending with flour. Fill papers ¾ of the way full and bake for 20 minutes, turning the pan half way through cooking.
- Top with chocolate ganache (recipe follows) and chocolate shavings.
- Put everything in a double boiler and whisk until smooth. Place in the fridge and whisk every 5-10 minutes until ganache begins to hold its shape, then use.
* I removed about 1.5 Tablespoons of cream and replaced it with Kahlua.
Originally Published: June 7, 2013