Let vegetables and lentils add great protein and flavor to this usually meaty bolognese dish.
A few months back I purchased an Instant Pot for a large food/chef job. I’ve been creating and testing many recipes out in this amazing contraption and love it more each time. This time I wanted to create a nice Bolognese sauce incorporating a vegan protein (and no oils) for both my client and my family. It turned out so beautifully! Packed with veggies, protein from the lentils and a wonderful flavor. Plus the cooking time was literally minutes. Perfect weeknight dish. I also love dipping my baked potato fries in the sauce. We paired this up with a gluten free pasta and it was incredible!
- 1 cup of Beluga black lentils, washed
- 1 -28 oz. can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 4 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of Italian seasonings, dry
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar – better quality for finishing
- Into your Instant Pot liner, add all of your ingredients through red pepper flakes. Give that a good stir to incorporate all of the ingredients. Place in your Instant Pot, close the steam release knob and set to manual for 15 minutes. When it’s done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for the next 10 minutes. Once you open the top, add a drizzle of balsamic and stir. Taste test for seasoning/salt preference.
- I used about a ¼ cup of balsamic and two good pinches of salt prior to serving. Serve over your favorite pasta.