This delicious pesto is packed with beta carotene, vitamin K and C, lutein and calcium.
By Robin Runner
I found a version of this recipe in my Vitamix cookbook. I was a bit hesitant because I was worried that my girls would not like the flavor combination but I was totally wrong. Vitamin-packed and rich in beta carotene, vitamin K and C, lutein and calcium. Still paired up with the traditional basil and I used walnuts instead of pine nuts. The taste is unbelievably good and low in fat thanks to the broth. Pair this up with whole wheat pasta or top chicken or fish and you are all set. I prepared this in my Vitamix but a food processor works just as well.
- ⅓ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of chicken broth
- ½ cup of light and fluffy grated parmesan (not packed)
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups of basil leaves
- 2 cups of kale, spine removed
- 3 tablespoons of walnuts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice
- Place all of the ingredients in the order as listed into your blender, Vitamix or food processor.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Toss with fresh pasta or store in a tupperware container in the fridge.